Canfeng-David ChenResearch Leader
NRC Radio Systems lab - Radio Prototyping team (Beijing)
Canfeng Chen's main research interests cover mobile Internet, IoT (Internet of Things), mobile computing and wireless communications. He has 7+ years experience in managing prototyping projects, and 3+ years experience in managing research teams. He is the author of over 90 technical papers in international conferences & journals, 5 book/chapters, and 20 patent applications.
Canfeng Chen has been working in Nokia since July 2005. He has been leading the Radio Prototyping team in Beijing since January 2011. He had been acting Research Leader for Context Sensing & Orchestration team since June 2009. He received his Bachelor and Ph.D degrees from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) in 2000 and 2005, respectively.(Last update in Sep.2012.)
Canfeng Chen is a member of IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), a member of CCF (China Computer Federation), Deputy Secretary in CIE Internet-of-Things Expert Committee, a member of CCF Technical Committee on Sensor Networks, and Nokia Representative in Chinese IoT Standardization working groups WGSN and CCSA TC10.
Canfeng Chen has served for many academic conferences as TPC member, incl. Globecom, ICC, VTC, SENSORCOMM, HPCC, CWSN, etc.
Canfeng Chen is now serving as guest supervisor for master students in BUPT, Beihang University and USTC.
IoTP: Internet of Things Protocols
We implemented the world 1st end-to-end IPv6 solution on Bluetooth Low Energy (BT-LE). BT-LE devices/sensors can operate for months or even years on tiny coin-cell batteries. BT-LE is emerging in applications like healthcare, sports and fitness, security, and home entertainment.
- Bluetooth Core Spec V4.0 is available here. The devices that support BT-LE can be found here. Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Bluetooth Low Energy IETF draft can be found here.
HAIP: High Accuracy Indoor Positioning
provides the highest level of accuracy (<1m) with the lowest power consumption and installation cost in the world. It is based on Bluetooth Low Energy (BT LE) technology and AoA (Angle of Arrival) or AoD (Angle of Departure) principle.
- HAIP video introduction is here.
uSD entry: universal Sensor Data entry
a universal mobile gateway solution for accessing wireless sensor networks. Without need for drivers, you can expand hardware through general memory interface; an example is to enable mobile devices access wireless sensors in surroundings using a special SD card (namely, uSD card: universal Sensor Data card). We kicked off a public uSD card trial in 10+ China universities in Dec.2009. One paper is accepted by MobiCom'10 which uses uSD card to discover Wifi hotspot.
mWSN: mobile enabled Wireless Sensor Networks
leverage mobile user base as collectors for sensor data, realize large scale data gathering wireless sensor networks through mobile sinks.
managed 10+ joint projects with top China universities and research institutes, incl. Tsinghua University, BUPT, Beihang University, Chinese Academy of Sciences, etc.
participated in 3 China National Science Foundation (NSFC) Projects and 2 China National High-tech R&D ("863") Programs.
Some posters demonstrating conceptual mobile applications/systems at the 10th Anniversary ceremony of NRC Beijing, December 10th, 2008
- VIP Visual Tracking (a running system has been deployed in China Science & Technology Museum in Sept. 2009)
- Cyber-Real-Cyber Zooming
- Context-aware Service Push for Mobile Consumers
- Bluetooth Low Energy and its Convergence with Lightweight IPv6, a talk at ‘Wireless Connectivity Technologies for Embedded Systems’ organized by Embedded Systems Association at Beihang University, Apr. 22, 2012
- Bluetooth Low Energy for Mobile IoT Applications, a talk at Short-range Radio Connectivity Technology Salon
organized by China Institute of Electronics, Oct. 22, 2011
- Mobile gateway to access heterogeneous WSNs, a presentation at workshop in International Conference on Mobile Internet Architecture Evolution of Post-LTE (MIRACLE 2010) organized by China Mobile, Nov. 5, 2010
- Yue Wenlong, Lei Wang, Cheng Jin, Xiaokang Liu, Ming Zhu, Qin Zhenquan and Canfeng Chen, "A Green Solution for Intelligent Metropolitan Heating System with uSDCards," IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2012), Ottawa, Canada, June 10 - 15, 2012
- Yu Yang, Yongjun Xu, Xiaowei Li and Canfeng Chen, "A Loss Inference Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks to Improve Data Reliability of Digital Ecosystems," IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRIAL ELECTRONICS, VOL. 58, NO. 6, JUNE 2011
- Long Cheng, Sajal K. Das, Mario Di Francesco, Canfeng Chen and Jian Ma, "Scalable and Energy-Efficient Broadcasting in Multihop Cluster-Based Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2011), Kyoto, Japan, June 5 - 9, 2011
- Long Cheng, Sajal K. Das, Canfeng Chen, Jian Ma and Wendong Wang, "Robust Forwarding for Reactive Routing Protocols in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks with Unreliable Links," IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2011), Kyoto, Japan, June 5 - 9, 2011
- Chunxiao JIANG, Nengqiang HE, Yong REN, Canfeng Chen and Jian MA, "uSD: Universal Sensor Data Entry Card," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Volume 56, Issue 3, pp. 1450 - 1456, August 2010
- Chunxiao JIANG, Xin MA, Canfeng Chen, Jian MA and Yong REN, "On Searching Available Channels with Asynchronous MAC-Layer Spectrum Sensing," IEICE TRANSACTIONS on Communications, Vol.E93-B, No.8, pp.2113 - 2125
- Chunxiao JIANG, Shuai FAN, Canfeng Chen, Jian MA and Yong REN, "Effective Management of Secondary User's Density in Cognitive Radio Networks," IEICE TRANSACTIONS on Communications, Vol.E93-B, No.9, pp.2443 - 2447
- Long Cheng, Jiannong Cao, Canfeng Chen, Jian Ma and Saja K. Das, "Exploiting Geographic Opportunistic Routing for Soft QoS Provisioning in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS 2010), San Francisco, CA, USA, November 8 - 12, 2010
- Long Cheng, Sajal K. Das, Jiannong Cao, Canfeng Chen and Jian Ma, "Distributed Minimum Transmission Multicast Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of the 39th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), San Diego, CA, September 13 - 16, 2010
- Ye Tian, Wendong Wang, Xueli Wang, Jinghai Rao, Canfeng Chen and Jian Ma, "Topic Detection and Organization of Mobile Text Messages," Proceedings of the 19th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2010), Toronto, Canada, October 26 - 30, 2010
- Long Cheng, Canfeng Chen, Jian Ma and Yimin Chen, "A Group-Level Incentive Scheme for Data Collection in Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of IEEE Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC 2009), Las Vegas, US, January 10 - 13, 2009
- Bin Wang, Dongliang Xie, Canfeng Chen, Jian Ma and Shiduan Cheng, "Deploying Multiple Mobile Sinks in Event-Driven WSNs," Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2008), Beijing, China, May 19 - 23, 2008
- Huangfu Wei, Duan Bin, Sun Limin, Chen Canfeng and Ma Jian, "THTA: Triangle-shaped Hierarchy Aggregation Time Allocation Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications & Networking Conference (WCNC 2008), Las Vegas, NV, US, March 31 - April 3, 2008
- Canfeng Chen, Jian Ma and Ke Yu, "Designing Energy Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks with Mobile Sinks," accepted by ACM Sensys'06 Workshop WSW (World Sensor Web), October 31, 2006
- Biao Ren, Jian Ma and Canfeng Chen, "The Hybrid Mobile Wireless Sensor Networks for Data Gathering," in Proceedings of Int’l Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, Vancouver (IWCMC2006), pp. 1085 - 1090, Canada, July 3 - 6, 2006
- Canfeng Chen, Jian Ma, Weiling Wu and Jiongpan Zhou, "A Modeling Framework for Multipath Routing in Ad Hoc Networks," in Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 2005, pp. 2594 - 2598, St. Louis, Missouri, US, November 28 – December 2, 2005
- Canfeng Chen, Lei Wang, Liang Liu and Weiling Wu, "Simulation Study of TCP Behavior over Redundant Source Routing in Ad hoc Networks," in Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference (WCNC 2004), pp. 1258 - 1263, Atlanta, US, March 21 - 25, 2004
- Canfeng Chen, Chapter 7, "Key Technologies of Internet of Things," edited by Yongjun Xu, Yu Liu and Feng Wang, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, June 2012 (ISBN 978-7-121-17559-6)
- Canfeng Chen, Chapter 4, "Introduction to Internet of Things," edited by Jian Ma, China Machine Press, March 2011 (ISBN 978-7-111-33323-4)
- Canfeng Chen, Chapter 12, "Wireless Sensor Networks," Edited by Suraiya Tarannum, Published by InTech, June 2011 (ISBN 978-953-307-325-5)
- Canfeng Chen, Chapter 5, "Mobile Learning," Edited by Ronghuai Huang and Jyri Salomaa, Science Press, May 2008 (ISBN 978-7-03-021660-1)
- Canfeng Chen, "Broadband Mobile Wireless Internet," BUPT Press, October 2005 (ISBN 7-5635-1054-0)
- Jia Liu and Canfeng Chen, "Energy Analysis of Neighbor Discovery in Bluetooth Low Energy Networks," (pdf) June 2012