Jyri HuopaniemiDirector and Head of Media Technologies Laboratory
Jyri Huopaniemi is Director and Head of Nokia Research Center Media Technologies laboratory. He has over 15 years of experience in leading research and development teams and large organizations. He joined Nokia in 1998 and has held several research leadership positions in the fields of multimedia technology, mobile applications and user interfaces and interaction. In his current role, he is leading NRC’s Media Technologies Laboratory that innovates differentiating multimedia and interaction technologies, and creates impact for future products through novel multimedia solutions, IPR and standardization.
Dr. Huopaniemi received his doctoral degree from Helsinki University of Technology in 1999. He worked as a research scientist and group manager at the Laboratory of Acoustics and Audio Signal Processing of Helsinki University of Technology from 1993 until 1997. During 1998 he was a visiting scholar at the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA) at Stanford University. Since 1998 he has been with Nokia Research Center in Helsinki, Finland. Prior to his current role at Nokia, he was head of the Media Laboratory, Head of Strategic Research and Head of the NRC Tampere laboratory at Nokia Research Center, responsible for strategic research in multimedia, applications, services and software platforms. He was appointed Docent (Adjunct Professor) of Audio Technology and Software at Helsinki University of Technology in 2003, and Adjunct Professor of Media Technology and Software in 2009, and continues to lecture on courses related to multimedia signal processing and software.
Jyri's current professional and academic interests include:
- user interfaces and user experience
- mobile multimedia
- mobile applications, services and software platforms
- mixed reality and virtual reality
- digital audio signal processing
- acoustics and music
- multimedia content analysis and processing
- web technologies
- social interaction and collaboration
He is author or coauthor of over 55 technical articles published in international journals and conferences, and he has been awarded five patents. He was one of the contributors to MPEG-4 audio systems standardization during 1997-2000, and he has headed several mobile media standardization efforts (Mobile Media, Mobile 3D Graphics, Scalable 2D Vector Graphics) in the Java Community Process.
Jyri Huopaniemi was the chairman of the Audio Engineering Society's (AES) Finnish Section during 1999-2003. He has been actively involved in conference organization committees (AES 16th and 22nd International Conferences, IEEE WASPAA, ICAD), and serves regularly as a reviewer for scientific journals and conferences. He is also a member of the IEEE, the ACM and the Acoustical Society of Finland. In his free time he enjoys music in as many forms as possible -- listening, playing, programming, recording, restoring, and mixing.
Member of the executive steering board, EIT ICT Labs (eit.ictlabs.eu)
Member of the board, Mobile Life Research Centre (mobilelifecentre.org)
Vice member of the board, Helsinki Institute of Information Technology (hiit.fi)
Vice member of the board, Tivit Oy (tivit.fi)
Eronen, A., Peltonen, V., Tuomi, J., Klapuri, A., Fagerlund, S., Sorsa, T., Lorho, G., Huopaniemi, J. 2006. Audio-based context recognition. IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 321-329.
Väänänen, R., Huopaniemi, J. 2004. Advanced AudioBIFS: Virtual Acoustics Modeling in MPEG-4 Scene Description. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 661-675, October 2004.
Riggs, R., Taivalsaari, A., Van Peursem, J., Huopaniemi, J., Patel, M., Uotila, A. 2003. Programming Wireless Devices with the Java 2 Platform Micro Edition, Second Edition, Addison-Wesley, 2003.
Lokki, T., Savioja, L., Väänänen, R., Huopaniemi, J., Takala, T. 2002. Creating interactive virtual auditory environments. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, special issue "Virtual Worlds, Real Sounds", vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 49-57, July/August 2002.
Väänänen, R., Huopaniemi, J. 2002. SNHC Audio and Audio Composition. In: Pereira, F. and Ebrahimi, T. (eds.), The MPEG-4 Book, Prentice Hall IMSC Press multimedia series, pp. 545-582, 2002.
Härmä, A., Karjalainen, M., Savioja, L., Välimäki, V., Laine, U., Huopaniemi, J. 2000. Frequency-warped signal processing for audio applications. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 48, no. 11, November 2000.
Savioja, L., Huopaniemi, J., Lokki, T., and Väänänen, R. 1999. Creating virtual acoustic environments. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 675-705, September 1999.
Scheirer, E., Väänänen, R., Huopaniemi, J. 1999. AudioBIFS: Describing audio scenes with the MPEG-4 multimedia standard. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 237-250, September 1999.
Huopaniemi, J., Zacharov, N., Karjalainen, M. 1999. Objective and subjective evaluation of head-related transfer function filter design. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 218-239, April 1999.
Huopaniemi, J. 1999. Virtual acoustics and 3-D sound in multimedia signal processing. Thesis for the degree of Doctor of Science in Technology, Helsinki University of Technology, Faculty of Electrical and Communications Engineering, Laboratory of Acoustics and Audio Signal Processing.
For a more complete list, please go to http://www.huopaniemi.net/jyri/pubs.html.
- “Visions and Trends in New User Interfaces”, keynote presentation, Euripides Forum, Helsinki, Finland, June 16, 2011
- “Evolution of Nomadic and Collaborative Media – Connected, Playful, Immersive”, invited presentation, Mobile VCE workshop, London, UK, Oct. 5, 2010
- “What Makes Nordic Universities Attractive in a Global Perspective?”, keynote presentation, NordTek conference, Aalborg, Denmark, June 12, 2010
- “Real-Time Context and Immersion Providing Uniquely New Mobile Experiences”, keynote presentation, EuroITV conference, Tampere, Finland, June 11, 2010
- “Mobile Immersive Technologies”, invited presentation at Barcelona Media, Barcelona, Spain, June 29, 2009
- "Visions of the Future of Mobility and Music," invited presentation at the Nordic Orchestra Conference, Tampere, Finland, Sept. 26, 2008.
- "Mixed Reality," presentation at The Way We Live Next 2008, Espoo, Finland, Sept. 23, 2008.
- "Interactive and Context-Aware Mobile Audio Experiences," keynote presentation and paper, DAFX 2008, Espoo, Finland, Sept. 3, 2008.
- "Immersive Experiences," presentation at Nokia World 2007, Amsterdam, Dec. 5, 2007.
- "Future of Personal Audio - Smart Applications and Immersive Communication," keynote presentation and paper at the AES 30th International Conference, Saariselkä, Finland, Mar. 15-17, 2007.
- "Workshop on Binaural Technologies for Mobile Applications," workshop chairman, AES 121st Convention, San Francisco, CA, USA, Oct. 5-8, 2006.
- "Fusing the Physical and the Digital - Future User Experiences," Nokia Technology Media Briefing, Helsinki, Finland, Oct. 3, 2006.
- "Workshop on Binaural Technologies for Mobile Applications," workshop chairman, AES 120th Convention, Paris, France, May 20-23, 2006.
"Envisioning the connected lifestyle," Nokia Connection, Helsinki, Finland, June 14, 2005.
"Academia meets industry: The future of music and audio research," panel presentation at the AES 118th Convention, Barcelona, Spain, May 31, 2005.
"Wireless technology and applications," panel presentation on mobile wireless services and technology, Americas’ Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS’04), New York, USA, Aug. 6, 2004.
"Future directions in mobile multimedia applications," Keynote presentation, Int. Symp. on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC'03), Yokosuka, Japan, Oct. 22, 2003.