Zhen LiuHead of Nokia Research Center, Beijing
Dr. Zhen Liu is Head of Nokia Research Center, Beijing (NRC Beijing). Nokia Research Center drives breakthroughs that reach far into the future, enabling new business opportunities for Nokia. As Head of NRC Beijing, Zhen is responsible for research teams in China, India and Africa that pursue disruptive innovation. NRC Beijing works closely with all Nokia operating units and promotes open innovation, working on research projects in collaboration with leading universities and research institutes in Asia and Africa.
E-mail: zhen.38.liu at nokia.com
Mobile phone: +1-650-862-8756, +86-138-0118-9447
Zhen joined Nokia in 2008 as the Head of NRC Beijing. He holds a Ph.D degree in Computer Science from the University of Orsay (Paris XI), France. Zhen’s research background is in distributed and networked systems, web services, stream processing systems, mobile computing and sensor networks, performance modeling, distributed optimization and control. Zhen has extensive experiences in managing research teams and research projects.
Before joining Nokia, Zhen was with IBM T. J. Watson Research Center and served as the manager of System Analysis and Optimization group, and the senior manager of the Next Generation Distributed Systems department. Prior to this experience, Zhen worked in Orange Labs (formerly France Telecom R&D) as a Research Associate, and in INRIA (the French national research center on information and automation), first as a Researcher, then became a Research Director. While he was with INRIA, Zhen was also an adjunct professor of the University of Paris VI (University of Pierre & Marie Curie) and the University of Nice - Sophia Antipolis, France. He taught DEA (i.e. Frecnch graduate) courses of Operations Research, Networking and Parallel Computing, and advised Ph.D. students in these areas.
Zhen is a fellow of IEEE, a member of the IFIP W.G. 7.3. He has served NSF Panels and a number of conference program committees. Zhen Liu was the general chair of the ACM Sigmetrics 2008 Conference, co-chair of ACM HotMetrics 2008, program co-chair of the Joint Conference of ACM Sigmetrics and IFIP Performance 2004, technical program co-chair of Sensorcomm 2009, and area TPC chair for INFOCOM 2008 and INFOCOM 2009. Zhen is on the editorial boards of several journals including IEEE Transactions on Service Computing and the Journal of Performance Evaluation.
Zhen has given keynotes and distinguished lectures in various conferences and universities.
Zhen has published 6 edited books and special issues, 8 book chapters and over 200 papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and has got a best paper award. Below are some selected recent publications.
Books and Special Issues:
1. Z. Liu, Z.-L. Zhang (Guest Eds.): Proceedings of the First Workshop on Hot Topics in METRICS (HotMETRICS’08), HotMETRICS 2008, June 6, 2008, Annapolis, MD, USA. ACM Performance Evaluation Review, Volume 36, Number 2, September 2008.
2. Z. Liu, V. Misra, P. Shenoy (Eds.): Proceedings of the International Conference on Measurements and Modeling of Computer Systems, SIGMETRICS 2008, June 2-6, 2008, Annapolis, MD, USA. ACM Press 2008.
3. Z. Liu, C. H. Xia (Eds), Performance Modeling and Engineering, Springer, May 2008.
4. Z. Liu (Guest Editor), Long Range Dependence and Heavy Tail Dstributions, Special Issue of Performance Evaluations, Vol. 61, Issues 2+3, July 2005.
5. E. G. Coffman Jr., Z. Liu, A. Merchant (Eds.): Proceedings of the International Conference on Measurements and Modeling of Computer Systems, SIGMETRICS 2004, June 10-14, 2004, New York, NY, USA. ACM Press 2004.
6. P. Chretienne, E. G. Coffman, J. K. Lenstra, Z. Liu, (Eds.), Scheduling Theory and Its Applications, J. Wiley, 1995.
Some Recent Publications in journals:
7. H. Feng, C. Xia, Z. Liu, L. Zhang, “Linear-Speed Interior-Path Algorithms for Distributed Control of Information Networks”, Performance Evaluation, Volume 67, Issue 11, November 2010, Pages 1107-1122, also presented at IFIP Conference on Performance, November 2010, Namur, Belgium.
8. H. R. Kolar, J. Cronin, P. Hartswick, A. C. Sanderson, J. S. Bonner, L. Hotaling, R. F. Ambrosio, Z. Liu, M. L. Passow, M. L. Reath, " Complex real-time environmental monitoring of the Hudson River and estuary system.” IBM Journal of research and Development, 53(3): 4:1-4:10 (2009).
9. E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, "Semantic Matching, Propagation and Transformation for Composition in Component-Based Systems.” International Journal of Software Science and Computational Intelligence, 1(1): 32-50 (2009).
10. Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov. "Specifying and Enforcing High-Level Semantic Obligation Policies" (Extended Version). Journal of Web Semantics, 7(1): 28-39 (2009).
11. N. Bansal, Z. Liu, A. Sanker, “Bin-Packing with Fragile Objects and Frequency Allocation in Cellular Networks”, Wireless Networks. Volume 15 Issue 6, August 2009.
12. P. Dube, N. Halim, K. Karenos, M. Kim, Z. Liu, S. Parthasarathy, D. Pendarakis, H. Yang, "HARMONY: Holistic Messaging Middleware for Event-Driven Systems", IBM Systems Journal, Volume 47 Issue 2, April 2008.
13. Z. Liu, A. Tang, C. H. Xia, L. Zhang, “A Decentralized Control Mechanism for Stream Processing Networks”, Annals of Operations Research, Special issue on Stochastic Performance Models for Resource Allocation in Communication Systems, 2008.
14. H. Feng, Z. Liu, C. H. Xia, L. Zhang, “Load Shedding and Distributed Resource Control of Stream Processing Networks”, Performance Evaluation, 64(9-12): 1102-1120, 2007. (also appeared in proceedings of Performance 2007)
15. P. Dube, Z. Liu, L. Wynter, C. Xia, "Competitive Equilibrium in e-Commerce: Pricing and Outsourcing", special issue on Outsourcing, Computers and Operations Research, Vol 34, Issue 12, 3541-3559, 2007.
16. Z. Liu, L. Wynter, C.H. Xia, and F. Zhang. “Parameter Inference of Queueing Models for IT Systems using End-to-End Measurements”, Journal of Performance Evaluation. 2006, Vol. 63, pp. 36—60.
17. W. Lin, Z. Liu, C. Xia, L. Zhang, "Optimal Capacity Allocation for Web Systems with End-to-End Delay Guarantees”. Performance Evaluation. 2005. Vol: 62, No: 1-4, p 400-416.
18. C. Xia, Z. Liu, M. S. Squillante, L. Zhang, N. Malouch, "Web Traffic Modeling at Finer Time Scales and Performance Implications", Journal of Performance Evaluation, Special Issue on Long Range Dependence and Heavy Tail Distributions, 2005. Vol: 61, No: 2-3, p 181-201.
Some Recent Publications in International Conferences
19. Z. Zhang, Y. Gu, F. Ye, H. Yang, M. Kim, H. Lei, Z. Liu, “A Hybrid Approach to High Availability in Stream Processing Systems”. IEEE 30th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), June 2010, Genoa, Italy.
20. H. Zhao, C. Xia, Z. Liu, D. Towsley, “A Unified Modeling Framework for Distributed Resource Allocation of General Fork and Join Processing Networks”, Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS 2010, New York, June 2010.
21. Y. Gu, Z. Zhang, F. Ye, H. Yang, M. Kim, H. Lei, Z. Liu, “An Empirical Study of High Availability in Stream Processing Systems”. ACM/IFIP/USENIX 10th International Middleware Conference (Middleware 2009), Urbana Champaign, Illinois, USA.
22. E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, H. Feng, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, O. Udrea, “MARIO: Middleware for Assembly and Deployment of Multi-platform Flow-Based Applications”, ACM/IFIP/USENIX 10th International Middleware Conference (Middleware 2009), Urbana Champaign, Illinois, USA.
23. A. L. H. Chow, H. Yang, C. Xia, M. Kim, Z. Liu, H. Lei, EMS: "Encoded Multipath Streaming for Real-time Live Streaming Applications", 17th International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2009), Princeton, NJ, October 2009.
24. E. Bouillet, P. Dube, D. George, Z. Liu, D. Pendarakis, L. Zhang, " Distributed Multi-Layered Workload Synthesis for Testing Stream Processing Systems”, Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2008), Miami, FL, December 2008.
25. E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, "A Tag-Based Approach for the Design and Composition of Information Processing Applications”, Proceedings of OOPSLA 2008 (International Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications), Nashville, TN, October 2008.
26. E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, "Faceted Requirements-Driven Approach to Service Design and Composition”, Proceedings of International Conference on Web Services (ICWS 2008), Beijing, China, September 2008.
27. Z. Liu, H. Yang, F. Ye, "A Replication Overlay Assisted Resource Discovery Service for Federated Systems” Proceedings of ICPP 2008 (37th International Conference on Parallel Processing), Portland, OR, September 2008. (Best paper award of ICPP 2008)
28. E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, H. Feng, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, "A Folksonomy-Based Model of Web Services for Discovery and Automatic Composition” To appear in Proceedings of SCC 2008 (International Conference on Service Computing), Honolulu, HI, July 2008.
29. Z. Liu, S. Parthasarathy, A. Ranganathan and H. Yang, “A Generic Flow Algorithm for Shared Filter Ordering Problems”. PODS 2008 (28th ACM SIGMOD/PODS International Conference on Management of Data / Principles of Database Systems), Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 2008.
30. Z. Liu, S. Parthasarathy, A. Ranganathan and H. Yang, “Near-Optimal Algorithms for Shared Filter Evaluation in Data Stream Systems”. SIGMOD 2008 (28th ACM SIGMOD/PODS International Conference on Management of Data / Principles of Database Systems), Vancouver, BC, Canada, June 2008.
31. A. Riabov, E. Bouillet, M. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, "Wishful Search: Interactive Composition of Data Mashups.” Proceedings of WWW 2008 (17th International World Wide Web Conference), Beijing, China, April 2008.
32. Y. Lei, Z. Liu, D. Towsley, C.H. Xia, “Distributed Operator Placement and Data Caching for In-Network Stream Query Processing”. IEEE Infocom 2008.
33. M. Kim, Z. Liu, S. Parthasarathy, D. Pendarakis, H. Yang, "Association Control in Mobile Wireless Networks", Proc. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom 2008), Phoenix, Arizona, April 2008.
34. M. Branson, F. Douglis, B. Fawcett, Z. Liu, A. Riabov, F. Ye, "CLASP: Collaborating, Autonomous Stream Processing Systems," 8th International Middleware Conference, November 2007.
35. H. Feng, Z. Liu, C.H. Xia, L. Zhang, “Load Shedding and Distributed Resource Control of Stream Processing Networks”, IFIP Performance Conference, 2007.
36. Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov. "A Planning Approach for Message-Oriented Semantic Web Service Composition". In AAAI '07, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 22-26, 2007.
37. C.H. Xia, Z. Liu, D. Towsley, M. Lelarge, “Scalability of Fork/Join Queueing Networks with Blocking”. ACM SIGMETRICS 2007.
38. Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov. "Modeling Web Services using Semantic Graph Transformations to aid Automatic Composition". In ICWS '07 (IEEE International Conference on Web Services), Salt Lake City, Utah, July 13-19, 2007.
Zhen Liu was master inventor at IBM and has obtained 40 patents granted. Below are some recent ones.
- M. D. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, Method for declarative semantic expression of user intent to enable goal-driven stream processing, US Patent #7899861, issued March 1, 2011.
- Z. Liu, L. Wynter, L. Zhang, Method and apparatus for estimating real-time travel times over a transportation network based on limited real-time data, US Patent #7894980, issued February 22, 2011.
- H. Feng, Z. Liu, H. Xia, L. Zhang. Distributed joint admission control and dynamic resource allocation in stream processing networks, US Patent #7889651, issued February 15, 2011.
- G. Popescu, Z. Liu, S. Sahu. Method and apparatus for providing dynamic group management for distributed interactive applications, US Patent #7886039, issued February 8, 2011.
- M. D. Feblowitz, Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, Method for modeling components of an information processing application using semantic graph transformations, US Patent #7882485, issued February 1, 2011.
- Z. Liu, S. Sahu, J. Silber. Method and apparatus for failure resilient forwarding of data over a computer network, US Patent #7865609, issued January 4, 2011.
- E. Bouillet, P. Dube, Z. Liu. Method and apparatus for dynamic content generation, US Patent #7856503, issued December 21, 2010.
- Z. Liu, G. Popescu. Hierarchical space partitioning for scalable data dissemination in large-scale distributed interactive applications, US Patent #7853615, issued December 14, 2010.
- Z. Liu, H. Yang, F. Ye, Method and system for federated resource discovery service in distributed systems, US Patent #7849069, issued December 7, 2010.
- Z. Liu, A. Ranganathan, A. Riabov, Method and system for automatically assembling stream processing graphs in stream processing systems, US Patent #7834875, issued November 16, 2010.